Friday, May 8, 2009

Sao Paulo Fashion Week: Ellus Underwater







As some of you might know, I am heading to south America for a couple of months this summer. I’m planning on updating the blog regularly about all of the latest styles and trends that I see while I’m there. Sadly, I’m not venturing to Brazil, a country well-known for being fashion forward. Regardless, I’ll be writing about Sao Paulo fashion week because it was absolutely brilliant. I want to help expose the fashion scene in South America. I personally think that people are too busy obsessing about European and American designers, and aren’t giving SA fashion enough love! Sao Paulo fashion week is known for being distinctly Brazilian, and the shows are unique and intriguing. Props to the creative directors of all the shows because they really took it to another level of creativity. This year, there was an infiltration of international journalists, which is good news for Brazilian designers, increasing their exposure in the international fashion market. I’m going to give you guys MY version of the highlights. I decided that I should do it in segments because there is so much to say. I’m going to start off with Ellus, because many have dubbed the show as having the best set design. Why? Because of the huge aquarium with models swimming around in it in jeans. This is why I love Brazil; you would only see something edgy like that in a show over there. The main colours used in the collection were black, white, coral and beige. There were also a lot of silver and metallic pieces. Leather jackets and vests of various shapes and sizes were a recurring theme in the show as well. But these were not your typical leather jackets, they were cut in untraditional ways, my favourite style of leather jacket from the show were the ones that seemed kind of flowy and drapy. I liked the twist on the typical, rigid leather jacket. There were also a lot of high wasted shorts, many of them were made out of a kind of washed out, faded denim. Stripes also made an appearance in many of ensembles mostly in the form of shorts and scarves. My favourite piece of the entire show was a white long flowy dress with huge sleeves. The dress had a coral pattern on it that sort of looked like a tree. The accessories that it was paired up with made for perfection. I’ve posted some pictures of my favourite looks from the show, including the dress, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment